This week I tried something new! Right now Spanish 1 is in the middle of reading Tumba and Spanish 2 is working on Robo en la noche. I have really made an attempt to vary our pre-reading activities that focus on vocabulary. Sometimes we old school TPR, sometimes it’s Quizlet, and other times it’s PQA. However, I’ve really been trying to think about how I can provide more reading input and listening input before we read. By the time I reached Chapter 5 this week, the vocabulary I wanted to students to pick up had already appeared in previous chapters so I took this opportunity to capitalize on that by playing pictionary!
Here’s how I did it:
- I pulled out 6 of the most important sentences and put them in a Google Slide.
- Student A had their back to the projector and paper/pencil in their hands.
- Student B faced the projector and had one of my small whiteboards.
- Student B drew the sentence while Student B tried to figure out the sentence.
- After a minute or so, I asked 3 students (from Student A) to share what they had written down.
- I then shared the actual sentence and they copied it down correctly.
- Students A & B swapped and repeated.
Here’s some tweaks that could make this better in the future:
- Add some fake sentences in the mix and have students identify which ones are very likely, possible, and not likely based on what they know about the book.
- List the sentences out of order and have students put them in the most likely order.
- Have them translate the sentences into English to demonstrate comprehension.
Please share below if you can think of other possible tweaks to improve this!